May 5, 2019
The Golden Chain
The 5 Links
- Foreknew: Chosen by God, in advance, to receive his grace unto salvation in Jesus Christ.
- Predestined: Planned by God, in advance, to be conformed to the likeness of Christ unto the glory of Jesus Christ.
- Called: Drawn by God to Jesus in such a way that we necessarily and willingly come to Jesus in saving faith.
- Justified: A moment in time when God declares us forgiven and considers the righteousness of Jesus as belonging to us.
- Glorified: Brought by God across the finish line of salvation into our full inheritance in Jesus Christ.
- Those who trust in Jesus for salvation and have therefore been justified by God.
- Those whom God chose to save, planned to make like Jesus, effectually called to Jesus, justified by their faith in Jesus, and will cause to persevere in trusting Jesus across the finish line of salvation
The Final Link
Sharing in Glory
“When God glorifies a human being, he grants to that person the privilege of beholding his infinite beauty and becoming like him as much as a creature can.” (John Piper)
In eternity, we will have transformed physical bodies that have been glorified: set free from the effects of sin and death and disease and made like Jesus’ body.
Glorification means that God will continue and complete the great gift of making us holy: set apart from sin and for God, completely free of every imperfection.
Great Confidence in a Great God
The golden chain of Romans 8:29-30 teaches us that God is sovereign and good over every step of our salvation from eternity past to eternity future.
The golden chain of Romans 8:29-30 moves our confidence away from our efforts and intentions to God’s preserving grace in our lives.