Rev. Dylan Valliere
Faith Chapel of the Christian and Missionary Alliance, Green Bay, WI
March 18, 2018
What is Fasting?
- Fasting is the biblical discipline of abstaining from some or all types of food for a spiritual purpose.
- Types of Fasting: Normal, Absolute, Partial, Alternative
Why Didn’t Jesus’ Disciples Fast?Did Jesus’ Disciples Fast?
- No, not when Jesus was with them. Yes, once Jesus returned to heaven.
- The reason that Jesus’ disciples didn’t fast when they were with Jesus was because they were with Jesus!
- Fasting is an expression of longing, of desperation and brokenheartedness.
- “Christian fasting, at its root, is the hunger of a homesickness for God.” (John Piper, A Hunger for God)
- Fasting is a declaration in action that, “Jesus, I want you more than I want what I’m giving up.”
New Wine, New Wineskins
- The coming of the kingdom of God in the person of Jesus Christ requires a whole new approach to fasting.
- Christian fasting is a longing for a more complete, more intense, more intimate experience of all that Jesus is for us.